PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
PAIR WITH: Chardonnay Reserve , Riesling , Gewürztraminer , Pinot Noir
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 8 red potatoes, cubed
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Combine the potatoes and spinach in a 9x13-inch baking dish, set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until dark brown and carmelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and flour; cook while stirring 1 minute more. Add salt, milk and cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Muenster cheese until melted, and pour sauce over the potato/spinach mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes. Uncover, and cook 20 minutes, then sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Muenster cheese, return to the oven, and bake until the potatoes are tender and the cheese sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more.