PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 2 hours
PAIR WITH: Blueberry Splash , Mello Red , 2 Cab Merlot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat a heavy Dutch oven on top of the stove over medium high heat. Add oil, and sear meat in the center of the pan for 4 minutes. Turn meat over with tongs; sear all sides for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove meat from pan. Arrange onion, garlic, and 1 bay leaf in the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return meat to pan, place remaining bay leaf on top of meat, and cover.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Reduce the heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove roast to a platter to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice, and top with onions and gravy.