PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
READY IN: approx. 60 minutes
- 1 sheet puff pastry, rolled to 1/8-inch thickness
- 4 baking apples - peeled, cored, and cut into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay puff pastry onto a round pizza pan.
- Mix apples and lemon juice together in a bowl until evenly coated; add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Toss to evenly coat apples. Spread apple mixture into the center of the puff pastry and fold edges of pastry toward the center. Brush the folded pastry edges with about 1/2 the egg.
- Refrigerate pastry-apple mixture for flavors and pastry to settle, about 10 minutes. Brush pastry with remaining 1/2 egg.
- Place pan on the top rack of preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Give galette a 1/4 turn and lower heat to 350 degrees F. Continue baking until pastry is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly before serving, about 10 minutes.