Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 (2 lb) spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp minced fresh oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/4 cups shredded, low-fat mozzarella
- 1/2 cup low-fat parmesan cheese
Microwave spaghetti squash (see method below).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly coat a 9 x 12 casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey until brown.
Drain the turkey, and mix in the peppers and garlic. Continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
Add the shredded squash and tomatoes into the skillet, and season with oregano, red pepper flakes, and parsley. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove skillet from heat, and mix in 2 cups of mozzarella cheese until melted. Transfer mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
How to Microwave Spaghetti Squash
Carefully split the spaghetti squash lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a spoon.
Place the squash skin side up in a microwaveable dish; add a small amount of water in the bottom of the pan.
Microwave on High for 8-10 minutes. The total cooking time depends on the size of the spaghetti squash and your microwave's wattage.
Check squash doneness with a fork; the fork should easily pass through the skin and squash flesh. If squash is still hard, microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes.