- 1/4 lb chicken livers, trimmed and rinsed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 canned whole water chestnuts, drained and halved horizontally
- 8 bacon slices (1/2 pound), cut crosswise into thirds
Also needed: 24 wooden toothpicks
Cut chicken livers into 24 (approx. 1/2-inch) pieces. Mix soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and curry powder. Add livers and water chestnuts and toss to coat. Cover and marinate, chilled, 1 hour.
While livers marinate, soak toothpicks in cold water 1 hour. Drain well.
Pre-cook bacon by microwaving five full strips for 1 - 2 minutes, sandwiching the bacon between layers of paper towels on a plate. You want them only partially done.
Remove livers and chestnuts from marinade and discard marinade. Place 1 piece of bacon on a work surface and put 1 piece of liver and 1 chestnut in center. Wrap bacon around liver and chestnut and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with each piece.
Broil rumaki on rack of a broiler pan 2 inches from heat, turning once, until bacon is crisp and livers are cooked but still slightly pink inside (unwrap 1 to check for doneness), 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately.