PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
MADE WITH: Chardonnay Reserve
- 12 oz. dry penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage (substitute with Field Roast Italian sausage or Shitake mushrooms for a meatless option)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Warner Chardonnay Reserve
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Place sausage and onion in the skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain fat. Pour in wine, and cook for 1 minute, stirring, to deglaze the pan. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Toss with cooked pasta, and place in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with chilled Chardonnay Reserve.