Simple Wine Braised Ham
- 4 lbs salted smoked pork
- 2 medium yellow or white onions, sliced
- 1 bottle red wine (we suggest our Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1-2 large cabbage, shredded
- Place a medium-sized Dutch oven over medium heat, add about two tablespoons of oil along with the onions, stir then cover with the lid. Let the onions soften until translucent (10 - 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. After the onions are soft, stir the onions until they are caramelized.
- Add the ham and cover with the wine and honey. Heat to a boil. Continue boiling about 5-6 minutes (to remove alcohol) then reduce the heat to medium low and cover with the lid.
- Cook about 2.5 hours until the ham is tender (about 2 1/2 hours) flipping the ham occasionally to ensure good flavor distribution. Move completed ham to a plate and add cabbage to the pot. Heat on medium high and cook the cabbage until softened.