Wine, Cheese & Fruit Simplified
Ever just wanted to try a simple wine and cheese tasting party but became overwhelmed by the options?
Here is a simplfied party to get you started.
- 1 bottle Warner Gewurztraminer
- 1 bottle Warner Chardonnay Reserve
- 1 bottle Warner Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 bottle Warner Merlot
- 1 bottle Warner Port
Cheeses purchase at least one from each style
- Soft Ripened Cheese: Brie,Camenbert
- Semi-Soft: Havarti
- Semi-Hard: Cheddar, Gouda, Swiss
- Hard Cheese: Aged Asiago
- Blue: Stilton or other blue veined
Fruit purchase at least one of each
- 1 bunch red grapes
- 1 bunch green grapes
- 1 - 3 Pears (Anjou or Bartlett)
- 1 - 3 Apples (Gala, Fuji or Golden Delicous)
- Optional: Raisins, Plums, Peaches
- Simplify cheese selection buy purchasing a good quality version of the above cheeses. See your local cheesemonger.
- Arrange cheeses from mild to strong flavored on a cheese board (a wooden cutting board works great). Provide cheese knives. (If all else fails arrange soft to hard always reserving blue for last.)
- Thinly slice apples and pears shortly before your guests arrive (to avoid browning) arrange on a platter. Arrange Grapes and other fruits on platters.
- Have fun, experiment with pairings, take your time and savor the tastes - use the pairing list below to get started!
PAIRINGS organized by cheese
- Soft Ripened Cheese: Cabernet Sauvignon /Merlot, Apples/Plums
- Semi-Soft: Chardonnay Reserve / Gewurztraminer , Apples/Pears/Grapes
- Semi-Hard: Cabernet Sauvignon /Merlot, Apples/Grapes/Pears
- Hard Cheese: Chardonnay Reserve , Apples/Pears
- Blue: Port , Apples/Grapes/Pears